USDA Licensed Breeder
We Track Pedigrees
Replacement Health & WHS Warranty
Located in Northeastern NorthCarolina
Pick-up locations in
Elizabeth City or Rocky Mount
Shipping Available to Legal States
Tenrecs, Short Tail Opossums,
& Long Eared Hedgehogs
Place orders now for pick-up in Rocky Mount NC Saturday June 17th
Tumblers Available! $20
We were contacted about 2 young adult rats that need homes. Call for info
Delta is having a technical issue with booking flights from our nearest airport currently. As soon as this is resolved, we will resume shipping.
Look for carolinaquillery on instagram
Purchase Terms & Information: Purchase Terms & Information (Updated & effective as of 07/01/21):
1. All animals purchased from Carolina Quillery are sold as pets and may not be resold or rehomed for breeding purposes.
2. A Prospective Buyer Form must be completed and approved prior to making a non-refundable deposit, payment, or scheduling any appointment.
3. We will not sell to residents of areas that prohibit species ownership or buyers under the age of 18. Buyers under 18 years of age must have parent or legal guardian present. A government issued photo id is required.
4. Prices are not negotiable. Regular prices for hedgehogs are $200-300. Hedgehogs priced below $200 are discounted due to age, attitude, or lineage. Prices for tenrecs and short tailed opossums vary.
5. All regularly priced hedgehogs are covered by a 6 month replacement warranty against Congenital Disease, lifetime replacement warranty against Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome (WHS), and Lifetime Support. Rescues and discounted hedgehogs, tenrecs and short tailed opossums are not covered by any warranties.
6. Personality, life expectancy, color, and markings cannot be predicted and are not guaranteed for any animal.
7. We will not hold any animal without a deposit or payment. Animal priced below $500 require payment in full. Animals under 6 weeks of age may be reserved with a non-refundable paid deposit. Balance is due at 6 weeks of age, which is listed as their “ready after” date. If balance is not paid within 48 hours of the ready after date, the animal will be relisted as available. Animals over 6 weeks of age require payment in full to reserve. All payments are non-refundable.
8. Advance reserve customers get first selection of available babies. Customers with advanced reserves are emailed in the order payments have been received once babies can safely be photographed to make their selection or may opt to wait for a future litter.
9. We accept cash, Square, and Paypal only. A fee of 3% is added when using Square or Paypal. Square and Paypal payments will only be accepted from the approved buyer and funds must clear prior to release of the animal. Any Square or Paypal transactions that are falsely disputed or withdrawn after receipt of the animal and accessories will be charged additional to cover all fees and legal costs involved in recovering the amount of the original payment. Absolutely no e-checks, checks or money orders.
10. All sales are final. No refunds will be issued for any reason. It is the responsibility of the buyer, as an owner, to do their research and make educated decisions concerning the owning, care, maintenance, health, and well being of any pet prior to purchasing.
11. Pick-ups and visits are done by appointment only. If you arrive early, you will have to wait until your scheduled time. If you are more than 15 minutes late without notification by phone call, you will be charged a $20 late fee. If one hour or more late, you will be considered a no show and any reserved animals will be re-listed as available.
12. Animals must be picked up within 14 days of being notified by email that your animal is ready unless prior arrangements have been agreed upon. This does not apply if appointments must be postponed on our part.
13. Shipping is available through airlines or USDA ground transporter at additional cost. Buyer understands and assumes all risks associated with shipping. Carolina Quillery cannot be held responsible for the health or well being of any animal during shipping.
14. As a buyer and owner, you understand the requirements of the animal you are applying to purchase and accept the responsibility of providing a life long home with appropriate housing, maintain adequate temperatures, accessible fresh water at all times, proper nutrition, necessary veterinary care, basic grooming that included bathing and nail trimming, consistent handling of your animal on a daily basis, and accept responsibility for preventing the purposeful breeding (be it breeding by you or rehoming to someone else for the purpose of breeding) or accidental breeding of any pet purchased from Carolina Quillery. For hedgehogs, failure to provide an appropriate heat source on a thermostat that maintains the hedgehog’s cage at 75-80F degrees, a minimum of a 4 square foot smooth bottom cage, 12” solid surface exercise wheel, & proper diet that meets nutritional requirements will void all replacement warranties.
15. As a buyer and owner, you understand proper hand washing, care, and cleanliness are your responsibility as an animal’s owner and are NOT the responsibility of the breeder. The buyer and owner agree that they will exercise proper care and handling for the safety of themselves and others that may come in contact with their pets.
16. We reserve first right of refusal if for any reason you decide you need to rehome your animal. If we choose to buy back an animal, compensation will be prorated based on age and condition of the animal. For hedgehogs, the maximum amount is $150 for healthy hedgehogs under 6 months of age, $100 for hedgehogs under 1 year of age, $50 for hedgehogs up to 2 years of age. In all other cases, we will always accept back any hedgehog as a rescue. We do not offer compensation for rescue hedgehogs or supplies. Compensation for tenrecs and short tailed opossums are considered on a case by case basis.
17. In the event that your animal needs medical attention, it is the owner’s responsibility to seek and provide veterinary care. Illness related to lack of veterinary care, improper nutrition, inadequate housing or environment, negligence, or injury are not covered by our warranties. All veterinary expenses are the sole responsibility of the owner.
18. Hedgehog health and replacement warranties: A necropsy is required to receive a replacement hedgehog. No exceptions! In the event of illness or untimely death of a hedgehog, veterinary records must be emailed to email@example.com from the attending veterinarian and a veterinary necropsy must be performed by Oregon State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory confirming cause of death to be covered by our warranty is required prior to replacement being given. All shipping and laboratory expenses are the sole responsibility of the owner. Absolutely no replacement will be given without the necropsy report being sent to us. Once approved for a replacement hedgehog, you will be allowed to pick a hedgehog of the same sex from the next available litter that is priced at the same or lesser price. Replacement must be picked within 60 days.
19. We ONLY sell breeding animals to licensed breeders we have experience with, those in good standings with an ethical breeders' association and USDA, & those with reputable mentors that will vouch for their breeding ethics and compliance with state and federal regulations. As such, we do not release pedigrees on any animals sold as PETS. In the event that a pet is bred in violation of this contract, we hold the right to reclaim said animal, all resulting offspring, and collect restitution for all legal costs involved in the reclamation of the animal and its off spring and any profits that have been received by the buyer stated on this contract resulting from the animal that was original purchased from us and its offspring. Microchipping is used at our discretion for animal identification purposes.
20.*We reserve the right to refuse or cancel the sale of any animal, at anytime, for any reason.* If we deem it necessary to refuse or cancel a sell, all payments minus deposit will be refunded. This is the only circumstance in which any money is refunded.